You are not obligated to complete the work of perfecting the world, but neither are you free to desist from it.
~Ethics of Our Fathers, 2:21
With all that is wrong in the world, how can our seemingly small contributions make any real difference? Between work, family, and other responsibilities, is it even worth carving out the time to engage in social action?
Our Jewish tradition understands that we are busy, and it doesn’t expect any of us to single-handedly save the world. However, if everyone does their small part, we tip the scales towards good. That is a powerful difference, and well worth our efforts.
CBB members engage in various volunteer-led social action projects. Please use the links below to learn more about each organization, and for contact information to get involved.
Thank you for making a difference!
- Pershing Park Preparing meals at Pershing Park for the homeless in Santa Barbara.
- Santuary Group at CBB (now forming)
- SB Community Aiding Refugees Effort (SB CARE) Humanitarian response to the global refugee crisis.
- Showers of Blessing Interfaith mobile hygiene ministry providing to showers to local homeless people.
- Transition House Preparing meals for families working to overcome homelessness.
- Ubumwe Preschool Supporting our sister preschool in Gisenyi, Rwanda, and those impacted by the on-going effects of the 1994 Rwandan genocide.
- Youth Interactive Bridging opportunity and social divisions by providing creative young adults from all walks of life with the keys to self-sufficiency.
- CBB’s Social Action Committee supports our congregants in their work of tikkun olam (repairing the world). Please contact Social Action Chair Dan Meisel (email@example.com) if you would like to be a part of this Committee.