NEW MID WEEK SCHEDULE!
5th GRADE: What You Need to Know
2 days per week: Sundays 9:30am – 12:30pm AND Wednesday OR Thursday 3:30 – 5 OR 4:30 – 6
SUMMARY OF 5th GRADE EXPERIENCE:
This year, our 5th Grade class will be learning about Judaism through a series of deep dive units spanning 4-5 weeks each. The units will each be based on one primary text, one mitzvah/value and one long term project to engage the students and foster understanding. These experiential lessons will be connected by an annual theme of THE CYCLE OF LIFE IN JUDAISM. Our program also has many other exciting activities each week such as, Hebrew Through Movement (interactive Hebrew), Community Building activities, snack time, t’fillah (prayer) time, stories, occasional fieldtrips, opportunities for parent involvement and choice “chugim” (electives) for 3rd – 6th graders .
BY THE END OF THE YEAR, 5th GRADERS WILL:
• Know the names of all their classmates, teachers and classroom helpers
• Feel that they are an important part of the class community
• Have a basic and lasting understanding of the 5 “deep dive” Judaic lessons focused on THE CYCLE OF LIFE IN JUDAISM
• Know 60+ Hebrew words and their meaning
• Have mastered the aleph bet and mastery of some prayers
MID WEEK HEBREW (mandatory for all levels of Hebrew Students 4th -6th grades)
With a new flexible schedule, small reading groups and an incentive style, mid-week program called “Golden Aleph”, your student’s Hebrew abilities will soar! Beginning with mastery of the aleph bet and all its sounds, through mastery of many Hebrew prayers, your student will enjoy learning to read Hebrew and Prayers that will prepare them for bar mitzvah and beyond!
NOTE NEW DAYS AND TIMES!
All levels meet Wednesday OR Thursday at (3:30 – 5) OR (4:30 – 6). Choose ONLY ONE FOR THE YEAR in addition to the Sunday class for all!
There is also a “South Satellite” option that will meet in Montecito on Tuesdays. (No t’fillah included in this offering and spaces are limited).
5th GRADE parents are expected to make every effort to participate in:
• Opening and Closing Day assemblies and family activities (Sept. 18th, 2016 & June 4th, 2017)
• 5th GRADE Family Shabbat
• 5th GRADE Family Education Day
There are also MANY other optional opportunities in which parents can get involved!