SB CARE is responding to the global refugee crisis through community education, and by fundraising for refugee family sponsorship and humanitarian aid.
SB CARE is an interfaith Santa Barbara community partnership with over 20 members. We work on programming efforts to fundraise for humanitarian aid and family sponsorship, and to educate our community with the aim of inspiring our friends and neighbors to help refugees find safety and rebuild their lives. We offer an array of opportunities to volunteer in ways that allign with each member’s interests and skills.
How To Help
To make a difference through a donation, you may donate to one or both of our partners:
- Syrian Refugee Family Sponsorship Fund provides funds to support “our” Christian-Armenian family from Syria who recently arrived in Toronto, Canada. In partnership with Temple Emanu El of Toronto, our funds allow this family to work on rebuilding their lives and provide a safe place for their children to grow.
- Matthew Abrams Memorial Fund for IsraAid provides earmarked funding to IsraAid‘s humanitarian refugee-support programs. This interfaith Israeli group provides vital front-line medical support to refugees, and vital supplies, along with medical, psycho-social, and cultural/educational support for people living in European refugee camps.
- Another way to support IsraAid! Buy The Refugee Crisis: Through the Eyes of the Children by Robin and Robert Jones. All proceeds donated to IsraAid when you purchase this beautiful, newly-released book by CBB community members who volunteered with refugees in Greece.
Join Our Group
We offer an array of opportunities to volunteer in ways that allign with each member’s interests and skills.
Our steering committee includes: Aaron & Valerie Edelheit, Rabbi Arthur Gross-Schaefer, Karen Schloss-Heimberg, Debbie Katzburg, Josie Martin, Evely Laser Shlensky, and Monica Steiner.
⇒ To donate, join the effort, or to learn more about this group,
please contact Monica Steiner at email@example.com
Refugee Aid … In Our Own Words
- Reflections from a Refugee Camp by Sarina Wasserman Click To Read (p. 20)
- Why I Help Syrian Refugees by Monica Steiner Click To Read
- A Story of Freedom by Josie Levy Martin Click To Read
- At Home in Vienna by Professor Alison Brysk Click To Read
- May 21, 2017: SB Jewish Festival pop-up shop booth (education and IsraAid fundraiser)
- April 10th, 2017: CBB Community Seder refugee slideshow
- November 20th, 2016: Sunday Morning Live at CBB: “The Global Refugee Crisis: Up Close”– Panel Discussion with Alison Brysk (UCSB), Robbie Schaefer (OneVoice Founder), and Sarina Wasswerman (Local teen volunteer/activist) AND Holiday Boutique and Art Sale benefitting Refugee Aid
- October 3- 12th, 2016: “The Refugees in Our Lobby” — High Holy Day Winter Items Fundraiser (in Partnership with IsraAid)
- May 1, 2016: SB Jewish Festival booth (education and IsraAid fundraiser)
- April 5, 2016: Women’s Seder with Robin Jones
- March 31, 2016: Why are Israelis Helping Syrians? A Personal View Into the Syrian Refugee Crisis With IsraAid and Robin & Robert Jones