At this time, we anticipate that all events, services, and life cycle events will be relocated off campus for the duration of construction EXCEPT for the Beit HaYeladim preschool, which will remain fully operational and running on campus. If the timeline for relocating events, services, and life cycle events back to campus changes, we will inform the Congregation asap.
The entire Beit HaYeladim (BHY) Preschool will remain fully operational and running on the CBB campus during the duration of the construction phase. We anticipate that ALL other activities, events, life cycle events, and clergy/staff will be relocated off-campus during this time.
We know there will be a period of disruption, noise and dust. At the same time, we have learned during the pandemic that we can adapt to disruption and continue to function effectively. We hope this project will actually bring our community closer as we look forward to the time the changes are complete, and we have a reimagined and refreshed campus.
One of the major elements of the Building Dreams project is the Center for Jewish Learning. This completely remodeled building will feature classrooms, learning studios, a teaching kitchen and art studio, and a bright new Multi-Purpose Sacred Space/Library, which will accommodate family services, school assemblies, adult education classes, films, performances, dance and yoga classes. Our current educational facilities are woefully out of date, and do not create a healthy environment for study and learning. The new Center for Jewish Learning is designed to fulfill our commitment to Jewish education for students of all ages. During the pandemic, our Education staff worked creatively to adapt our Jewish Learning Programs to our changing circumstances. We are confident that we will be able to do so again during the construction of the Building Dreams project. We will share our plans with you as they develop.
We will seek to maximize our existing facilities for as long as we can while still functioning safely and efficiently. We will be creative in using those parts of our campus which are not impacted, potential temporary relocation, and technology. At the same time, we recognize that disruption in our daily lives is difficult for all of us, especially the young. In the same way that we learned to function and connect electronically because of Covid-19, we will adapt our practices to function as the project progresses.
This is an important aspect of our Campus Renewal plans. All areas of the property will be accessible:
The Arrival Plaza will include new drop areas, a safer path of travel and a gently sloping ramp integrated into the design of the new Arrival Plaza.
An elevator will be installed in the new Center for Jewish Learning to allow access from the preschool playground to the Outdoor Pavilion.
New ramps will be installed from the Social Hall to the new Outdoor Pavilion, from the Leadership Hub to the Promenade, and from the lower parking area to the Promenade.
There will also be an accessible path along the east side of the Main Building that will run from the parking lot to the pre-school playground. Making our renewed campus accessible to all members of our community is an important goal of the project.
Sustainability, energy efficiency and being good stewards of our environment are all important CBB values. Blackbird Architects share our values and are part of the American Institute of Architects 2030 pledge to achieve carbon-neutrality in new buildings and major renovations. Equally our contractor, Schipper Construction, has extensive experience in green building construction techniques.
Our project will be exceeding California green building standards, and includes a sophisticated storm water retention system, additions and renovations will all meet stringent energy efficiency guidelines and our landscape will maximize water tolerant and native species. As we move forward we will work with our architects to continue to achieve our goals of environmentally friendly design, cost effectiveness and quality.
We look forward to sharing with you more details as the project progresses. Since the synagogue is located in a High Fire Hazard Area, it is subject to strict development standards intended to reduce wildfire risk and vulnerability. We will strictly comply with each of those standards. Several safety improvements are part of the project including fire sprinklers in the Center for Jewish Learning and in the Leadership Hub. All materials being used will be fire rated, and all areas of the campus will experience improved lighting and better path of travel for pedestrians and cars.
Congregation B’nai B’rith is a diverse, inclusive
community of individuals and families building
together a warm and vibrant house of living
1000 San Antonio Creek Road,
Santa Barbara, CA 93111
First mentioned in 1238, one of the oldest Jewish settlements in the Czech lands.
In 1568 the Jews were expelled from the town. Historical sources refer to their number at the time as “sizeable.”
In 1853 the first Jewish family moved back, in 1880 there were 332 Jewish citizens, in 1900 there were 415 and in 1930, 215 people claimed their Jewish heritage.
The Jews in Pribram enjoyed a rich social life; there was a chevra kadisha, a Sisterhood, and charity and youth organizations. Before WWI there was even a kosher restaurant.
During the Nazi occupation, 171 Pribram Jews were killed in the camps, including 18 children under 15. The youngest was Pavel Schling, he was four years old.
In 1873 the building of the synagogue (in the then-popular Moorish style) began and in 1875 it was finished and the first Torah scroll was placed in the synagogue.
In the 1960s many Torah scrolls were sold to Western Jewish organizations all over the world.
The last Pribram rabbi, Dr. Emil Friedman, was killed in Auschwitz in 1943, along with 543 Jewish people from Pribram and the surrounding area.
During WWII, the synagogue was used as a warehouse and from 1946 to 1957 it housed collections of the town museum.
In 1966, due to only a very small number of Jewish people in Pribram, the congregation donated the synagogue to the town of Pribram.
The magistrate accepted the donation, only to tear the synagogue down in 1969.
The location of the medieval Jewish cemetery in unknown.
The new Jewish cemetery was founded in 1879. There are currently 150 beautifully preserved grave stones and a monument to the 543 Nazi victims, unveiled in 1954. The last Jewish burial took place in 1958. The cemetery is very well preserved and taken care of.