Welcome to Congregation B’nai B’rith!
We are the oldest and largest synagogue in Santa Barbara, a congregation rich with memories and tradition, constantly seeking new ways of engaging every one of our members in the ancient and marvelous Jewish way of life. We cherish and honor our elders, with their deep wisdom and varied life experiences, and we are passionately devoted to our children, working unceasingly to provide them with a satisfying and enjoyable Jewish foundation that will last them for their entire lives.
We strive always to welcome newcomers and also to remain a familiar and comfortable Jewish home for those who chose long ago to make this their Jewish community. Whoever you are, and wherever you come from, we hope that you will visit us, learn with us, sing with us, break bread with us, roll up your sleeves and work with us to help make this a better world.
Congregation B’nai B’rith is a diverse, inclusive community of individuals and families building together a warm and vibrant house of living Judaism.
We envision CBB as a place where Santa Barbara Jewish people and our families…feel welcome and at home, where we are inspired to bring our gifts of energy and creativity, and where we connect to the tradition and community of our Jewish ancestors.
We aspire to be a congregation of knowledgeable and committed Jews, each individual expressing in their own unique way the seven circles of Study, Prayer, Acts of Compassion, Shabbat, the Festival Year, the Cycle of Life, and the Jewish People.
We are constantly growing as a Kehilla K’dosha, a sacred community of people whose lives are enriched with meaning, purpose, connectedness and relationship with God.
- In this age of proliferating Jewish institutions, the synagogue remains unique and indispensable.
- Jewish practice and participation in Temple life can be a source of profound meaning throughout our lives.
- A healthy synagogue community engages members at every stage of our lives – and our individual level of commitment and participation may vary at different times in our lives.
- A Jewish community flourishes when members gather together on a regular basis for worship and learning, for community service and for fun and social connection.
- In order to thrive, our congregation must be adaptive, take risks and continually renew its self.
The Commitments We Ask from our Members
- To offer love and support to fellow congregants, in times of trouble and sorrow, and in times of joy and celebration.
- To strive to communicate with fellow congregants, Temple leadership, and CBB staff clearly and respectfully.
- Cultivate and nurture within ourselves a love and understanding of Jewish heritage.
- Generously contribute financial resources to the best of our ability, whether or not we are actively participating at the time.
CBB Leadership and Staff Commitments to Our Members
- To facilitate our member’s experience of a Judaism that is alive, meaningful and relevant.
- Prepare and support people to lead a Jewish life.
- Actively find ways to connect our members to each other, and make it easy to participate in CBB.
- Ensure that potential members feel welcome and interested in joining, without regard for their financial circumstances.
- Support and encourage the development of other congregations and communities of Jewish worship and learning.
- Work together as part of the Greater Santa Barbara community with all Jewish organizations to foster Jewish life.