Sunday November 18 2018
Get Ready for Mitzvah Day 2018!
Projects for Every Age & Interest!
Join us from 8:30am – 1:30pm.
This Year’s Projects will Include:
- Animal Mitzvah! – Bake treats to ensure our local shelter dogs are “well-treated”
- A Cape for a Hero – Sewing superhero capes for children fighting cancer
- BHY Preschool Gardening & Building Projects – Build picnic benches, reinforce our hillside, & plant herbs and flowers
- Ozrim Team – On site mitzvah day greeters & helpers
- Caring Community – Assemble care bags for home bound seniors, and congregants recovering from surgery & facing loss
- Gaga Pit Painting – Help us paint and beautify our gaga pit!
- Home Improvement – Building and beautification projects for our CBB campus “home”
- Knotting with Love – Make flannel blankets for kids living at Transition House
- Laundry Love – Pack and/or deliver snacks and laundry supplies for the homeless and those who need access to laundry facilities
- Lunch for the Hungry– Assemble lunch bags to deliver to our homeless neighbors
- Painting in the Garden – Paint a mural for our new outdoor prayer space
- Saving Lives – Donate blood in the Bloodmobile and/or learn about the bone marrow registry though Be the Match
- Teddy Bear Cancer Foundation – Assemble Thanksgiving dinner and gift bags for families with children fighting cancer
- Together We Rise – Build skateboards for kids in foster care
- Transition House – Assemble bags to bring a smile and help babies, kids, and teens feel at home as they settle in at Transition House
- SB Cares – Write letters and make drawings for refugees living in the Lesbos Camp and the Adelanto Detention Center
- Support & Buy in advance! – Purchase items (through the RSVP link) to support Ubumwe Preschool and SB Food Bank
- Casa Serena – Clean and organize a house at this rehabilitation facility for low income women and their kids
- Eco-Project – Remove invasive plants from the Carpinteria salt marsh
- Games & Gab with Seniors – Join the Center for Successful Aging at Friendship Manor Retirement Home. Bring board games or fun activities for seniors. Feel like chatting instead of playing, our seniors love that! Goodies and drinks will be provided.
- Isla Vista Youth Projects – Hands-on project to help beautify and paint the facility, and spruce up the yard
- PATH – Prepare, cook, and serve food to homeless people living at PATH
- Sarah House – Help prepare dinner for residents (Sarah House)
- Joy Thru Song! – Practice at CBB with Cantor Mark, then spread the joy by singing for residents at Hillside House
- Transition House – repairs, painting, and beautification (Transition House)
- Be The Match – Save lives! Register for America’s bone marrow, organ, cornea, and tissue donor list
- Bloodline – donate blood to help save lives
- Santa Barbara Hillel – create “care kits” for Doctors Without Walls, a community organization working with local homeless
- Santa Barbara Food Bank – Help support food security for all in SB!
- Ubumwe Center and Preschool in Rwanda – Come paint English letters to send to our friends in Rwanda to help decorate the classrooms of our sister preschool
Thank You to Our Sponsors!
Get Inspired! Last year, On Mitzvah Day 2017 …
With 300+ volunteers and 150+ Netivot kids helping 20+ partner organizations, we
- Raised more than $2,000 for SBORTY’s Hurricane & Disaster Relief Fund
- Collected and sorted more than 300 books for Planned Parenthood
- Made 80 lunches for the hungry at SB Rescue Mission
- Created 80 care bags to be delivered by CBB’s Caring Community throughout the year
- Planted 75 new native plants at Elings Park
- Our Instant choir brought joy to Hillside House and Vista Del Monte
- Created a new community garden @ CBB
- Built a new stage, easels, and picnic bench for BHY Preschool
- Assembled, painted, and delivered 2 Habitat for Humanity playhouses to Domestic Violence Solutions safe houses
- Trained new volunteers to visit the elderly through Adventures in Caring and brought smiles and cookies to Friendship Manor Residents
- Refurbished chairs and tables at Transition house and lent our helping hands to the Mental Wellness Center
- Built and installed new lighting in the CBB parking lot and at BHY Preschool
- Broke our record with 30 volunteer blood donors through United Blood Services
- Created a ton of dog treats for DAWG canine rescue organization
- and so much more!
Equally–if not more–important, Mitzvah Day created and deepened friendships between individuals who were working together. You could feel the tangible sense of pride among volunteers and gratitude for all the great things happening around them. For one morning, we were able to let go of the nonstop stream of news, and instead focus on positive pieces of the world fitting together.
Our 2017 Mitzvah Projects Included:
- Adventures in Caring training
- Animal Mitzvah! – baking treats for shelter dogs
- BHY Preschool Gardening Project
- Boomers of B’nai B’rith “Ozrim Team” — On Site Logistics
- Caring Community – assembling Care baskets
- Gardening Project
- Habitat for Humanity — play structure building
- L’Chaim by Women of B’nai B’rith (Blood Mobile & Donate Life)
- Lunch for the Homeless
- Men of B’nai B’rith outdoor parking light installation
- Mitzvah Day Choir with Cantor Mark
- Mural Painting
- Peace Crane Project – SB CAREs & Ubumwe groups lead this project (open to all) to create and send origami cranes to children around the world
- Art/Clothing/Baking Projects at the Mental Wellness Center
- Friendship Manor — visit and play board games with residents
- Hadassah Planned Parenthood Book drive and organizing
- Habitat Restoration
- Transition House – repairs and beautification
We also had participatory/ informational booths from:
- Donate Life – Save lives! Register for America’s organ, cornea, and tissue donor list
- SB CAREs – Directly help refugee families! Learn about refugees and Sign up to buy Safe Passage Bags
- Ubumwe Center and Preschool in Rwanda – learn about our Sister center and preschool and donate!
- Environmental education
- SBORTY’s Penny & Donation Drive for Hurricane & Disaster Relief