Skip to content
Call Us Today! (805) 964-7869
Beit HaYeladim (PreSchool)
Jewish Learning Programs (K-12)
Purim Carnival 2019
Jewish Book Club
Jewish Short Story Group
Practical Judaism Class
Sunday Morning Live
Czech Torah Scroll
Boomers of B’nai B’rith
Israel Trip (Nov 26-Dec 7, 2018)
Men of B’nai B’rith (MoBB)
Mental Wellness Initiative
SBORTY (CBB Youth Groups)
Women of B’nai B’rith
The Human Family
High Holy Days
From Rabbi Cohen
Acts of Compassion
Cycle of Life
Prayer & Blessings
Purim After Dark (2018)
Dreamer’s Ball (2017)
Shabbat Services & Offerings
Board of Trustees 2019/20
CBB’s 90th Celebration
Czech Torah Scroll
In The News
Live Video Stream
Monthly Program Guide
2019 May Program Guide.FINAL
History of Pribram Jews
First mentioned in 1238, one of the oldest Jewish settlements in the Czech lands.
In 1568 the Jews were expelled from the town. Historical sources refer to their number at the time as “sizeable.”
In 1853 the first Jewish family moved back, in 1880 there were 332 Jewish citizens, in 1900 there were 415 and in 1930, 215 people claimed their Jewish heritage.
The Jews in Pribram enjoyed a rich social life; there was a
a Sisterhood, and charity and youth organizations. Before WWI there was even a kosher restaurant.
During the Nazi occupation, 171 Pribram Jews were killed in the camps, including 18 children under 15. The youngest was Pavel Schling, he was four years old.
In 1873 the building of the synagogue (in the then-popular Moorish style) began and in 1875 it was finished and the first Torah scroll was placed in the synagogue.
In the 1960s many Torah scrolls were sold to Western Jewish organizations all over the world.
The last Pribram rabbi, Dr. Emil Friedman, was killed in Auschwitz in 1943, along with 543 Jewish people from Pribram and the surrounding area.
During WWII, the synagogue was used as a warehouse and from 1946 to 1957 it housed collections of the town museum.
In 1966, due to only a very small number of Jewish people in Pribram, the congregation donated the synagogue to the town of Pribram.
The magistrate accepted the donation, only to tear the synagogue down in 1969.
The location of the medieval Jewish cemetery in unknown.
The new Jewish cemetery was founded in 1879. There are currently 150 beautifully preserved grave stones and a monument to the 543 Nazi victims, unveiled in 1954. The last Jewish burial took place in 1958. The cemetery is very well preserved and taken care of.