FLEXIBLE MID WEEK SCHEDULE!
5th GRADE: What You Need to Know
2 days per week: Sundays 9:30am – 12:30pm AND Wednesday OR Thursday 3:30 – 5 OR 4:30 – 6pm
SUMMARY OF 5th GRADE EXPERIENCE:
Our 5th Grade class learns about Judaism through a series of “deep dive” units spanning 4-5 weeks each. The units are based on one primary text, one mitzvah/value, and one long term project to engage the students and foster understanding. These experiential lessons will be connected by the annual theme, HINEINI: MY RESPONSIBILITY. Our program also has many other exciting activities each week such as, Hebrew Through Movement (interactive Hebrew), Community Building activities, snack time, t’fillah (prayer) time, stories, occasional fieldtrips, opportunities for parent involvement and choice “chugim” (electives) for 3rd – 6th graders .
MID WEEK HEBREW (mandatory for all levels of Hebrew Students 4th -6th grades): With a flexible schedule, small reading groups, and an incentive style in our mid-week program called “Golden Aleph”, your student’s Hebrew abilities will soar! Beginning with mastery of the aleph bet and all its sounds, through mastery of many Hebrew prayers, your student will enjoy learning to read Hebrew and Prayers that will prepare them for bar mitzvah and beyond!
DAYS AND TIMES: All levels meet Wednesday OR Thursday at (3:30 – 5) OR (4:30 – 6). Choose ONLY ONE FOR THE YEAR in addition to the Sunday class for all! There is also a “South Satellite” option that will meet in Montecito on Tuesdays. (No t’fillah included in this offering and spaces are limited). Go to Golden Aleph page to learn more about the program and schedule.
BY THE END OF THE YEAR, 5th GRADERS WILL:
• Know the names of all their classmates, teachers and classroom helpers
• Feel that they are an important part of the class community
• Have a basic and lasting understanding of the 5 “deep dive” Judaic lessons focused on HINEINI: MY RESPONSIBILITY
• Know 60+ Hebrew words and their meaning
• Have mastered the aleph bet and mastery of some prayers
5th Grade parents are expected to make every effort to participate in:
- Opening and Closing Day assemblies and activities (Sept. 16th, 2018 & June 2nd, 2019)
NEW THIS YEAR:
- Throughout the year, enjoy 4 helpful “Holidays@Home” workshops, designed especially for parents of all Netivot students.
Learn how to bring the rituals, meaning and joy of 4 special holidays into your home: Sukkot, Hanukah, Shabbat and Passover.
There are also MANY other optional opportunities in which parents can get involved!