1st GRADE: What You Need to Know
1 day per week: Sundays 9:30am – 12:30pm
SUMMARY OF 1st GRADE EXPERIENCE:
This year, our 1st Grade class will be learning about Judaism through a series of deep dive units spanning 4-5 weeks each. The units will each be based on one primary text, one mitzvah/value and one long term project to engage the students and foster understanding. These experiential lessons will be connected by an annual theme of ANIMALS AND JUDAISM. Our program also has many other exciting activities each week such as, Hebrew Through Movement (interactive Hebrew), Community Building activities, play time, snack time, t’fillah (prayer) time, music, art, dancing, stories, occasional fieldtrips, opportunities for parent involvement and MORE!
BY THE END OF THE YEAR, 1st GRADERS WILL:
• Know the names of all their classmates, teachers and classroom helpers
• Feel that they are an important part of the class community
• Have a basic and lasting understanding of the 5 “deep dive” Judaic lessons focused on ANIMALS AND JUDAISM
• Know 25-45 Hebrew words and their meaning
1st Grade parents are expected to make every effort to participate in:
- Opening and Closing Day assemblies and activities
NEW THIS YEAR:
- Throughout the year, enjoy 4 helpful “Holidays@Home” workshops, designed especially for parents of all Netivot students.
Learn how to bring the rituals, meaning and joy of 4 special holidays into your home: Sukkot, Hanukah, Shabbat and Passover.
There are also MANY other optional opportunities in which parents can get involved!
HEBREW IMMERSION PROGRAM (HIP) — Optional Supplemental Hebrew:
Interested in a stronger focus on Hebrew reading, language and Israeli Culture? Consider adding our Hebrew Immersion Program (HIP) to your child’s experience at CBB. HIP is an optional class ($630), taught by Hebrew expert, Yifat Nahmias. Click Here to learn more about HIP!
HIP has new meeting times! To accomodate busy schedules, the class will meet before (8:30 – 9:25am) OR after (12:15 – 12:55pm) for the regular Sunday program, AND one afternoon per week (either Wed. or Thurs. afternoon, 4:00 – 5:45pm).