SB Cares is responding to the global refugee crisis through community education, and by fundraising for refugee family sponsorship and humanitarian aid.
SBCares is a Santa Barbara community partnership. We work on programming efforts to fundraise for humanitarian aid and family sponsorship, and to educate our community with the aim of inspiring our friends and neighbors to help refugees find safety and rebuild their lives.
We offer an array of opportunities to volunteer in ways that align with each member’s interests and skills.
⇒ To join the effort,
learn more about this group,
or inquire about donations:
please contact us at:
- Syrian Refugee Family Sponsorship Fund provides funds to support “our” Christian-Armenian family from Syria who recently arrived in Toronto, Canada. In partnership with Temple Emanu El of Toronto, our funds allow this family to work on rebuilding their lives and provide a safe place for their children to grow.
- Matthew Abrams Memorial Fund for IsraAid provides earmarked funding to IsraAid‘s humanitarian refugee-support programs. This interfaith Israeli group provides vital front-line medical support to refugees, and vital supplies, along with medical, psycho-social, and cultural/educational support for people living in European refugee camps.
- Another way to support IsraAid! Buy The Refugee Crisis: Through the Eyes of the Children by Robin and Robert Jones. All proceeds donated to IsraAid when you purchase this beautiful, newly-released book by CBB community members who volunteered with refugees in Greece.
- Sponsor our travelling educational art show – To educate the next generation of social activists, we send our compelling photographic art show and paired education presentation to visit universities nationwide.
- Express your area of interest and we will help you find a way to donate to a refugee-based issue you care about.
Checks may be sent to:
SB Cares/ Matthew Abrams Fund for IsraAid
c/o Karen Schloss Heimberg
325 Santa Barbara St
SB CA 93101
A Sample of Past Events
- 2018-Ongoing: “Through the Eyes of the Children” travelling art show at Loyola Marymount, Los Angeles and other nationwide locations.
- Passover call-to-action on behalf of refugees at CBB’s community seder.
- August 23, 2017: Santa Barbara premiere film screening of director Sam Kadi’s Little Ghandi at The New Vic Theatre
- May 21, 2017: SB Jewish Festival pop-up shop booth (education and IsraAid fundraiser)
- April 10th, 2017: CBB Community Seder refugee slideshow
- November 20th, 2016: Sunday Morning Live at CBB: “The Global Refugee Crisis: Up Close”– Panel Discussion with Alison Brysk (UCSB), Robbie Schaefer (OneVoice Founder), and Sarina Wasswerman (Local teen volunteer/activist) AND Holiday Boutique and Art Sale benefiting Refugee Aid
- October 3- 12th, 2016: “The Refugees in Our Lobby” — High Holy Day Winter Items Fundraiser (in Partnership with IsraAid)
- May 1, 2016: SBCares at the SB Jewish Festival
- April 5, 2016: Women’s Seder with Robin Jones
- March 31, 2016: Why are Israelis Helping Syrians? A Personal View Into the Syrian Refugee Crisis With IsraAid and Robin & Robert Jones
Refugee Aid … In Our Own Words
- The Refugee Crisis: Through the Eyes of the Children (Lesbos, Greece) by Robert and Robin Jones Click To Read
- Reflections from a Refugee Camp by Sarina Wasserman Click To Read (p. 20)
- Why I Help Syrian Refugees by Monica Steiner Click To Read
- A Story of Freedom by Josie Levy Martin Click To Read
- At Home in Vienna by Professor Alison Brysk Click To Read