2nd Grade: What You Need to Know
1 day per week: Sundays 9:30 AM-12:30 PM
Annual Tuition: $1,300
SUMMARY OF 2nd GRADE EXPERIENCE:
This year, our 2nd Grade community will be learning about Judaism through a series of deep dive units spanning 4-5 weeks each. The units will each be based on one primary text, one mitzvah/value and one long term project to engage the students and foster understanding. These experiential lessons will be connected by an annual theme of OUR BODIES AND JUDAISM. Our program also has many other exciting activities each week such as, Hebrew Through Movement (interactive Hebrew), Community Building activities, play time, snack time, t’fillah (prayer) time, music, art, dancing, stories, occasional fieldtrips, opportunities for parent involvement and MORE!
BY THE END OF THE YEAR, 2nd GRADERS WILL:
- Know the names of all their classmates, teachers and classroom helpers
- Feel that they are an important part of the class community
- Have a basic and lasting understanding of the 4 “deep dive” Judaic lessons focused on OUR BODIES AND JUDAISM
- Know 30-50 Hebrew words and their meaning
SUPPLEMENTAL HEBREW OPTION (For CONTINUING 2nd GRADE HIP STUDENTS):
HIP is a continuing option for 2nd graders who began the program in K or 1st Grade. Hebrew Immersion Program (HIP) provides a strong focus on Hebrew reading, language and Israeli Culture. For continuing HIP students, HIP is an optional class ($750), taught by Hebrew expert, Yifat Nahmias.
HIP has new meeting times! The class will meet
- before (8:30 – 9:25 am) OR after (12:35-1:30pm) the regular Sunday program
- AND one afternoon per week, either Wed. or Thurs. afternoon (4-6pm). We work to comply with your busy schedules when possible.
Return to the main page and click on HIP to learn more.
2nd GRADE parents are expected to make every effort to participate in:
- Opening and Closing Day assemblies and family activities
There are also MANY other optional opportunities in which parents can get involved, including a hike with Rabbi Steve Cohen and the annual Purim Carnival.